- Turn your head upside down and add a layer of dry shampoo for volume in the top, or even just if your hair is a little dirty.
- Taking your teasing comb, gather the front section of hair (your bangs) and spray a few spritzs of hair spray or dry shampoo and do a thorough teasing job. (If you missed the first video on How To Tease, watch that first!) If you want a part, just spray enough dry shampoo to make your hair look clean.
- Repeat with the second top section in the back, and then again with another layer back. Depending on how much volume you want, continue to go back on your head, teasing more layers.
- After you have good volume on top, use your fingers to gather all hair into a ponytail on the lowerhalf of your head, leaving out a nice, thick side layer that we will use to make the braids.
- Holding the ponytail with one hand, use the other hand to twist the ponytail and then wrap it clock wise around the hand that’s holding the ponytail. Just wrap the hair around itself.
- Remove the first hand, take your hair elastic and wrap it around the bun at least two times, more if it doesn’t feel secure with just two wraps.
- Take the layer that you left out on the sides and braid them backwards, not down. Secure braid with a bobbypin just to hold it together while you braid the other side. Repeat on other side.
- Take the braid on the right hand side of your head and bring it back, wrapping it around the TOP of the bun, secure with bobbypins
- Take the braid on the left hand of your head and bring it back, wrapping it from the UNDERSIDE of the bun, secure with bobbypins.
- Taking your fingers, rake thru the top of your hair, tugging gently to loosen the top layer
- Pull some pieces out around your face
- As always, haaaaairspray, hairspray, hairspray.
- 2-3 quick spritz’s of Blow-Pro 3D Illuminating Mist to brighten things back up and we are done.
Disclaimer: I redid this look for the pictures. When I did it a second time, I split the section of hair to braid in half and made two braids in stead of one, so a total of four. That’s how I got a more complicated look. But it’s just as easy!
Do this messy bun, take a picture and post it on our facebook wall. It’s been so fun seeing you all interpret this on your own beautiful hair, so I made an album dedicated just to your creations- come see.
-This is day 6 of my #30DaysofALAHair, view the rest here. Day 6 will be on the blog tomorrow afternoon. See you tomorrow!-